The U.S. National Nanotechnology Coordination Office is launching what it’s calling the “NanoEHS Webinar Series.” The first one is “Applying a Lab Safety Culture to Nanotechnology: Educating the Next Generation of Nanoscientists”. It will be held on Wednesday, May 18, starting at 11 AM Pacific/2 PM Eastern. Here’s the description:
The first webinar will discuss how an effective culture of safety in the research laboratory facilitates safe and responsible nanomaterial research and supports the [National Nanotechnology Initiative] goal of responsible development. Other major goals of this webinar are to build awareness of existing information resources; facilitate safe nanotechnology practices within the overall lab safety culture; engage industry in the discussion by sharing practices and expectations; and ensure that safety training in academia is viewed as an important job skill.
Who: Speakers at the event will include:
• Charles L. Geraci, Jr. – Associate Director for Nanotechnology and co-manager of the Nanotechnology Research Center at the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
• Keith J. Watson – Vice President of Core Research and Development at Dow Chemical Company
• Larry Gibbs – Associate Vice Provost for Environmental Health and Safety at Stanford University
• Craig Merlic – Associate Professor of Chemistry and Executive Director for the UCLA Center for Laboratory Safety
• Lori Seiler – Associate Director for Global R&D EHS at Dow Chemical Company