Everybody Needs A: Brain
In a post several weeks ago, I examined the debate of synthesis or purchasing of commercially-made compounds. If you recall, it appeared that I could not synthesize the correct compound, and the compound I had bought did not appear to have been synthesized correctly. I took the advice of one of a reader and decided to call the company from which I had bought my compound. Luckily, I had a great conversation with customer support, and they said that they’d run some tests on the batch that they had sent me.
Shortly after this call, I realized that I had taken the wrong compound from the wrong vial, and had labeled my aliquot wrong. I ended up finding the vial I needed and the positive control worked as expected. The lesson is pretty clear here. Make sure that you label everything!
Feel free to share embarrassing stories like mine in the comments below. Might just make me feel better about making such a rookie mistake.