1. Paul
    Mar 08 - 8:20 am

Sweet post. I just ordered a blue/violet laser pointer off eBay…didn’t realize they are dirt cheap now. I can’t wait for the yellows to come down in price.

My current advisor was the first person I saw give a presentation with a green laser pointer. I was an undergrad at the time and had to give the talk after his. There I was—all proud of having my own red laser—when both his talk and pointer blew me away.

2. Hap
    Mar 08 - 4:14 pm

I think this NIST article was referenced here last year – it discusses the problems with cheap green laser pointers (ones which lack an IR shield). Some green laser pointers may emit a large amount of their light as IR and outside the margins of the visible beam, so that if you look near the beam, you may receive a blinding dose of IR, while the lack of visibility of the beam means that you don’t shut your eyes (while with other bright sources, you shut your eyes immediately upon registering the brightness of the light source) and so may receive eye damage.

3. chiraljones
    Mar 09 - 1:24 am

“Though I’m sure a yellow laser pointer would really liven up any presentation, I can’t imagine that it would be generally accepted among our community. Correct me if I’m wrong.”

Beg to differ! I saw Micalizio from Scripps Florida give a talk: black slide backgrounds, and a yellow/orange laser pointer. It was pure class.

4. Paul
    Mar 09 - 1:41 am

Black slides are generally a bad idea. Much harder for older people with bad eyes to read them.

5. chiraljones
    Mar 10 - 2:06 pm

huh. I really liked the black slides: pretty easily readable, and color-coded functional groups stood out way better than I’d ever seen with a white background. Then again, the lights in the room were much dimmer than they usually are, and I’m still young enough that my lookin’ balls haven’t deteriorated much yet…

6. octopus manifold
    Mar 11 - 1:43 pm

The traditional red laser pointer is a diode laser not a HeNe.