“I was blinded by a school science experiment”
Jun23

“I was blinded by a school science experiment”

Via @adchempages, a personal story of the repercussions of being blinded by a school science experiment, by Meredith Plumb: Throughout my childhood, I had 20:20 vision. But two weeks before my 12th birthday, in my first year of secondary school in Cheshire, my teacher asked me to conduct a science experiment, and gave me a pestle and mortar. I was told to measure three kinds of powder: black, orange and white. I did as I was told, but...

Read More
Lesson learned: Eye protection
Jun04

Lesson learned: Eye protection

From the University of California, Berkeley, a lesson learned about wearing eye protection: A graduate student researcher was working at a laboratory bench synthesizing approximately one gram of diazonium perchlorate crystals. The student was transferring synthesized perchlorate using a metal spatula when the material exploded, sending porcelain fragments into his face. The fragments shattered the lenses of his eyeglasses and...

Read More
Three Florida students burned in flame test demo
May28

Three Florida students burned in flame test demo

Via the Tallahassee Democrat, an incident from last week: A chemistry experiment gone wrong injured three Lincoln High School students Friday morning. Leon County Emergency Medical Services responded to the call, along with the Tallahassee Fire Department and the Sheriff’s Office. Two students were admitted to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital with burns suffered during the incident, and another student was released to parental...

Read More
Harran still complying with proescution agreement in #SheriSangji case
May21

Harran still complying with proescution agreement in #SheriSangji case

Patrick Harran has a court date today to check in with a judge regarding his agreement with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office. Harran was to pay a fine and complete community service in exchange for the DA eventually dropping charges of four felony violations of the state labor code. The case arose from a 2008 fire in his lab that led to the death of researcher Sheharbano (Sheri) Sangji. Harran had paid the fine...

Read More
Trimethylsilyldiazomethane safety under investigation
May12

Trimethylsilyldiazomethane safety under investigation

Back in 2008, two chemists died after exposure to trimethylsilyldiazomethane (TMSD): Jason Siddell, age 24 and employed at Gelest, and Roland Daigle, age 46 and employed at Sepracor Canada (now Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Canada). This year, the U.S. National Toxicology Program (NTP) is finally studying the compound’s toxicity. The U.S. Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) investigated Siddell’s death. OSHA...

Read More
Trial starts for Texas A&M University at Qatar fatality
Apr29

Trial starts for Texas A&M University at Qatar fatality

Nearly one year ago, Hassan Kamal Hussein died after an incident in an engineering lab at Texas A&M University at Qatar. Doha News now reports that a trial has started in the case. Some details from the Doha News story: Hussein is identified as a laboratory coordinator and he suffered fatal head and neck wounds in an explosion. He was using some sort of equipment that was being installed to produce gasoline (petrol) from natural...

Read More