C&EN’s Michael Torrice reported earlier today:
Chemistry professor Patrick G. Harran will face trial on three felony counts of violating California state labor code, a Los Angeles County judge ruled today. The case stems from a 2008 fire in Harran’s lab [at the University of California, Los Angeles,] that led to the death of research assistant Sheharbano (Sheri) Sangji.
See yesterday’s post for background.
Other coverage (will update as I see more):
- Los Angeles Times (reporter in courtroom)
- Westwood-Century City Patch (reporter in courtroom)
- Can’t quite tell if this reporter was in the courtroom: Reuters
- Media outlets working from secondary information: Associated Press shorter & longer; LA Weekly; Chronicle of Higher Education; Science Careers; Nature News Blog; UK Daily Mail; The Scientist
- In the chemistry blogosphere: Chemjobber first & second (with many comments); Doing Good Science; ChemBark (also with many comments)
- Chemistry Reddit
- UCLA chancellor’s statement
- National Law Journal
- Chemistry World