Chemjobber challenged us to list our favorite things about chemistry. We promptly passed the buck and asked Neal Langerman, founder of consulting company Advanced Chemical Safety, if he’d be willing to list his favorite things about chemical safety. He kindly obliged.
A few of Neal’s favorite things about chemical safety:
1.“But we’ve always done it that way”
2. Helping people realize that using chemicals around the house is higher risk than using them at work
3. Challenging opposing attorneys with undergraduate level chemistry during trial
4. Solving interesting chemical mysteries that seem to appear out of nowhere (“nothing has been changed”)
5. Answering the phone and hearing “I have this stuff that I want to know what it is…”
6. Presenting a MSDS for chocolate, milk or water
7. Reading chemical/chemistry blunders in the media
8. Visiting a laboratory with a really well-run safety program
9. Doing hot reaction demos – brake fluid and calcium hypochlorite
10. Making the world safe for “ions, molecules, and free radicals”
We’d welcome other health & safety professionals to add their favorite things in the comments!
(Azmanam is keeping track of the lists this meme has generated, so check out his post if you’re curious to see others’ favorite chemistry things.)