1. Kevin Z
    Dec 15 - 8:42 AM

You’ve done great work David for science outreach David! Not just with the blogs, but the television appearances, helping to organize Science Online, talking to classes about blogging, etc. etc. Keep it all up David, you are a tireless, and in my opinion sometimes underrated, champion of science communication.

I started following you shortly after I discovered scienceblogs (by way of invitation to join Deep Sea News) in 2007. You have always been helpful, accessible and generous with your time to me even though I am not remotely in the pharmaceutical community. It is because of your awesome attitude that I even have generated an interest in reading this type of stuff, but I also appreciate your sidelines into music and racial diversity in sciences.

Keep strong brother!

2. David Kroll
    Dec 15 - 9:55 AM

You’re a good man, Kevin – I just love this part of the educational sphere. You guys even have me getting more interested in marine natural products, a more recent source of some of our new anticancer drugs.

I appreciate the underrated comment but some of the feedback I’ve gotten in the past is that I could improve my profile by posting daily. It’s that day job that gets in the way, you know?

I love what you do all around, in Deep Sea News, music, and the science communication and outreach communities. We’re all a team as I see it. Thanks so much for offering your comments and insights. See you up here in Jan but I’ve got to do a better job of getting down to your neck of the seagrass.

3. Rachel Pepling
    Dec 15 - 10:32 AM

Happy anniversary, David! You’ve been a terrific addition to the sandbox, and I’m so glad you came to play with us.

4. Hap
    Dec 15 - 11:12 AM

1) I don’t work in the lab – I read lots and work in chemistry but don’t do lab work. It mostly involves organic and some medicinal chemistry, hence my interest. I read you through (I think) Adventures in Ethics and Science at Science Blogs until the detonation.

2) I get irritated at supplement advertising so I like to see someone puttting out accurate information on what they are and do. I don’t know much about pharmacology, but it interests me, so I read.

3) I read about ten blogs or so – (I’m not italicking, sorry) – In The Pipeline, Carbon-Based Curiosities, ChemBark, The ChemBlog, and Chemjobber a lot, The Sceptical Chymist, Chemistry World, Pharmalot, and Totally Synthetic and Adventures in Ethics and Science (because they’re both busy) less but some.

4) I don’t really have any requests – I am fortunate enough to have something to read, so…

Thank you.

5. Carmen Drahl
    Dec 15 - 11:56 AM

Happy birthday to Sandi and to Terra Sig! 5 is what- 70 in blog years? I’m glad the chemNobel grumblings put us in contact and gladder still that you’ve joined our lil’ collective. I’m learning every day from your example about how to be a helpful presence in the scicomm world.

6. k8
    Dec 15 - 1:55 PM

David, I am an avid reader. I don’t have a background in science, but I’m CURIOUS. I’m just so CURIOUS. I stumbled upon ScienceBlogs when I was googling a new disaster or disease to study. (I know everything it is possible to know about the Bubonic Plague. Note: Does NOT make for a good first date conversation starter.) And I’ve stuck around ever since.

I love your posts about drugs. Love. Them. As a recovering alcoholic, I’m always on the lookout for the ones I never got to try! I kid. Sort of. But now that I work with addicts and alcoholics myself, I need to know what’s out there. And I like to know the chemistry behind it as well.

Anyway. I love reading your blog. It is a highlight to see it come up in my reader. Always.

Kate

7. David Kroll
    Dec 15 - 8:57 PM

@k8 – I’m very lucky that you follow me around. I obviously share your concerns about unintended dependence on naturally-occurring substances. But you have educated me far more in the RealWorld than I can approach in the literature. Your friendship and participation in these discussion substantially enrich what we discuss here.

Beyond our relationship regarding substance abuse and pharmacology/physiology, you are simply an exemplary blog reader and commenter – whoever else earns your readership is very fortunate.

8. Namnezia
    Dec 15 - 10:54 PM

Keep up the good work! You probably already know my Neuroscience background. I really enjoy your blog a lot although I don’t comment often,you make pharmacology interesting. I particularly like posts on drug development, drug mechanisms and such. I also wanted to thank you for promoting my blog early on, if it wasn’t for you DM and Isis I’d have 3 readers.

9. Emily
    Dec 16 - 10:22 AM

David, I am an academic chemistry librarian, and like k8 I am curious about everything. I like to start my day with CENtral Science. I promote RSS feeds and blogs to grad students as a way to keep one’s perspective. I am a great believer in serendipitous discovery, and I am intrigued with the notion that just around that next click is a new connection to be made or discovered. Students congregate outside the library waiting for their labs to begin. I routinely post blog postings on a bulletin board in that space to entice students into the wonderful world of chemistry information. Happy anniversary!

10. David Kroll
    Dec 16 - 8:05 PM

Rachel and Carmen – I’m just so, so lucky to know you both. You’re both great mentors and being here has been a wonderful opportunity. I have so much more to learn about “real” writing but I am so fortunate to have your supportive guidance.

Indeed, Carmen, we caught up when you first quoted me here:

Seems like forever ago.

Hap and Namnezia, thank you very much. Namnezia, I’m so glad that you started your own blog. You have such a thoughtful and introspective writing style; you hooked me with one of your first posts in July about being a minority faculty member. You get better every day.

Emily, you are awesome! What a fantastic way to use blogs to expose your students to chemistry news! I must share that idea with a few folks in the day job – beautiful!

11. scribbler50
    Dec 16 - 8:51 PM

Geez, and I wanted to use “blogiversary” here, dammit!

Hey, happy anniversary, David, which means a happy birthday as well to “little sister”. You’re one of the truly good guys out there I’ve met through this process and I’m proud, no honored, to call you a friend. Continued success with this and all that you do.
    Cheers, Bud!!

12. David Kroll
    Dec 17 - 8:05 AM

Brother Scribb! Thank you so much for taking time off your shift to send your kind wishes. I truly appreciate the sentiments – and I hope to bring little sister to experience your craft in the near future.

For those who’ve not read scribbler50′s blog, Behind the Stick, you are missing one of the best literary bartenders in the blogosphere. His weekly columns are rich in astute cultural observation and commentary – definitely the reading highlight of my weekends. Scribbler’s stories take me back to a time when my grandfather would take me to a local bar after his shift at the chemical factory, when the corner bar was as integral to the community as the library or hardware store. Be forewarned that there may be an occasional word from George Carlin’s list of “seven words you can’t say on television,” but he wields even salty language with loving care.

Thanks again, brother!

13. Gaythia
    Dec 18 - 8:14 PM

Congratulations and keep up the great work! I find your blog to be a reliable source on pharmacology and biological chemistry, areas of interest to me but no expertise. I especially enjoy your posts on various aspects of science with a human touch, whether that be on policies, or safety, or discrimination or success. You have written many worthwhile posts with information I just wouldn’t have gotten elsewhere. Always something worth thinking about.

Thank you!