The Colorado Daily reported this evening on a chemical explosion that injured an unidentified PhD student at the University of Colorado Engineering Center in Boulder. Few details are available now but don’t let the photos of the firefighters put you off – the accident could have been far worse.
Emergency crews evacuated the University of Colorado Engineering Center this afternoon after chemicals exploded in a beaker and the exploding glass shards cut a 28-year-old doctoral student’s forehead.
The student was mixing chemicals in a room in the Engineering Center’s “chemical engineering” wing. No one else was injured, according to Bronson Hilliard, spokesman for CU-Boulder.
The student — whose name is not being released — walked himself to Wardenburg Health Center on campus.
Glass shards in the forehead tell me that the student was likely wearing appropriate eye protection. My guess is that we could have been reading about a student who was tragically blinded.
We send our best wishes to the student and to our colleagues at the CU Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering.
Leave a Reply