Amusing News Aliquots

Silly samplings from this week’s science news, compiled by Sophia Cai, Bethany Halford, and Jeff Huber.

Credit: Newcastle University

Credit: Newcastle University

Praying mantises fitted with world’s tiniest 3D glasses. In other news, praying mantises swarm local movie theater hoping to see “Avatar.” [Pop Sci]

Attention male researchers: Step away from the mice. Apparently men’s pheromones make mice stressed and more timid, whereas female researchers have no such effect. Time to revisit those experiments. Yes, all of them. [iO9]

Taco Bell reveals the ingredients in its “Special Recipe” (which accounts for 12% of the fast food joint’s beef – the other 88% of their beef is beef). Turns out that “Special Recipe” is neither pixie dust nor crystal meth, it’s just a bunch of chemical additives. [Taco Bell]

Owners of a Pennsylvania hair salon were surprised this week when a bear cub walked up to their store. Even more surprising, the cub asked for “the Rachel.” [ABC27]

Calls to the Scottsdale, Ariz., fire department about meddlesome snakes are on the rise. Also on the rise? The number of annoyed Scottsdale, Ariz., firefighters. [AZFamily.com]

Can’t tell whether that Italian soccer player is faking anguish to get the call? Turns out, we’re all pretty bad at discerning between real and feigned emotion. But computers are much better. [New York Times]

Speaking of faces, a study shows men’s preference for women with more feminine features depends on the health index of their home country. Harsher conditions might make those buff, manly ladies seem more attractive … [Science]

A Los Angeles-based comedy troupe has begun serving hamsters tiny burritos while they sit at dinner tables. It’s proof that no waitstaff job is too degrading when you’re trying to make it in Hollywood. [YouTube]

Fox News: They report; you decide. In this case you get to decide which of five wacky ways to open a corked bottle of wine. [Fox News]

Not for the faint of heart. The link says it all. [Has the Whale Exploded Yet?]

Author: Bethany Halford

Share This Post On