1. Bryan Sanctuary
    Sep 01 - 8:57 pm

Of course drawing structures is a form of art, and I agree that such can bring out the personality of the scientists. I remember seeing Lewis’s hand drawn octets and thought them quite personal.

On the other hand, I am a terrible artist and I only use programs like Chem Draw now. I am a theorist but I wanted to re-visit organic at one point and wrote an ebook with lots of mechanisms which are animated. As much as hand drawn structures are of interest, the multimedia lets me show how electrons move and bonds break and form. So like so much else, drawing structure is becoming a lost art.

2. azmanam
    Sep 02 - 12:20 pm

So I guess everyone has a stack of old literature articles (read or unread) lying around so that the backs of the pages can be used for scratch paper. Good, it’s not just me.

Love the Hello Kitty notebook.

Props to Paul for showing the P+/O- resonance structure of the phosphonic acid.

3. Paul
    Sep 03 - 1:59 am

I love this post.

Also, I would like to advocate for people to cross their zeros, sevens, and Zs in order to distinguish them from Os, ones, and twos, respectively.

4. Tom
    Sep 03 - 7:03 am

Awesome post!

Here’s mine to add to your collection: http://www.tomwphillips.co.uk/blog/2011/09/hand-drawn-structures/

5. Carmen Drahl
    Sep 12 - 9:21 am

Thanks for your continued support, folks! I love how people are trying a mix of structures, including chairs in homage to CJ’s recent post here. Also, Hello Kitty paper and a tablet-drawn set side by side? Gotta love it.

Oh, and @Paul, my mom always crosses 7′s. I’ve inherited that habit but I do it b/c I like how it makes them look.

6. See Arr Oh
    Sep 18 - 7:19 am

@Paul, @CD – I didn’t learn to cross my 7′s until college, when I realized in P-Chem class that it was too confusing not to. Even now, I still get flack because my hydrogens look like “4″, my oxygens like “0″, and my sulfurs look like “5″.

I wanted to point out, now that we have >20 structures, two things that jump out at me:
    1. Some people are ridiculously neat when they draw, and others seem to just put the structure on paper as quickly as they can (I’m in the latter camp, sadly)
    2. Benzene should be a standard size, but for some artists, it’s a tiny ring with huge alkyl chains, and for others, it’s the biggest thing in the structure, with tiny alkyl chains.

7. Pete E
    Sep 19 - 1:46 pm

I’m curious what my 5 year old granddaughter will ‘see’ when I show her Cinnamaldehyde’s post.
    I saw the chemical structures and couldn’t figure out what was on the pink paper at first.
    My guess will be that the Hello Kitty will jump out for my granddaughter.

8. Carmen Drahl
    Sep 22 - 2:00 pm

Pete- it’s funny how structures stand out for chemists. You reminded me of a (print) Newscripts column from 2008– where a chemist wrote the New York Times to point out structural errors while missing the big picture…