1. Lisa Jarvis
    Jul 21 - 1:26 pm

Rutgers biochemist Ilya Raskin’s other love is wildlife photography–his labs, conference rooms, hallways, office, etc, are filled with giant prints of his work.

2. John Spevacek
    Jul 21 - 2:11 pm

That’s Mike.

I was in the same research group with him getting our doctorates, so I have stories about him hanging other things on the walls as well, but I will let those tales disappear in the foggy past.

3. Jyllian Kemsley
    Jul 21 - 3:57 pm

When I was a graduate student, a labmate arranged for a friend to paint a mural of the hills above Stanford on a wall of our windowless, third-floor instrument room.

4. qvxb
    Jul 25 - 5:55 pm

Prints of alchemical labs show stuffed crocodiles hanging from the ceilings and cow skulls on the walls. Does anyone here know their purpose?

5. Lauren Wolf
    Jul 26 - 12:13 pm

Jyllian, do you have a picture of the mural? I like the idea of a room with a view that has no windows. Any little thing you can do to make graduate school less depressing.
    qvxb, I have an alchemy expert source that I’ve posed the question to. I’ll get back to you.

6. Lauren Wolf
    Jul 26 - 1:45 pm

qvxb, I’ve got an answer for you. What rapid turnaround! Lawrence Principe, a professor of both chemistry and the history of science at Johns Hopkins specializes in the study of alchemy. Here’s his answer to your question:
    “The crocodile and lizards in labs are examples of exotica and display the knowledge and possession of rare objects by the owner. Their presence is related to the phenomenon of ‘cabinets of curiosities,’ where collectors amassed arrays of exotica from the natural world and wonder-evoking works of art and artifice. The cow skulls, however, are probably more practical. Ground bones are necessary for making cupels–shallow dishes for assaying and refining silver–so these skulls may well have been the raw material for these.”

7. Jyllian Kemsley
    Jul 26 - 3:10 pm

Alas, I do not have a photo.