1. jbone
    May 21 - 12:32 pm

Do I count as a “kid” since I know who Ke$ha is?

I couldn’t watch all of it, although I don’t know if it was unpalatable because the parody was bad or because I despise Ke$ha and all her music (leaning towards the latter, if it had been ANY of her other songs I wouldn’t have even started watching). Nice effort.

2. Carmen Drahl
    May 21 - 4:17 pm

Eh. It was a decent effort, but if they were really ambitious they would’ve worn the right safety gear… AND used the “I am T-Pain” app to make it sound more like the original. That girl is definitely over-using the Auto-Tune.

3. Rachel Pepling
    May 21 - 4:19 pm

@jbone I, too, know who Ke$ha is and am far from being a kid. Most of the time. It was more a comment on name-rendering and what counts as “music.”

4. jbone
    May 22 - 10:13 pm

It was more a comment on name-rendering and what counts as “music.”

I agree with you 100%. I don’t mind being a kid, honestly. I long for the days often. I guess knowing who Ke$ha is and not liking her “music” makes me an adult though.

Yes Carmen, she and everybody in pop music are using that stuff too much (including some of my favorite artists). In a somewhat funny twist, Jay-Z wrote a song called “Death of Autotune” for Blueprint 3 where he tells everybody they don’t know how to make music because they overuse autotune. And Kanye West (whose entire last album was autotuned) is on Roc-a-fella.

5. qvxb
    May 24 - 5:53 pm

I liked it! Flames, explosions, and Avogadro. Truly exocharmic. Good to see young people enthusiastic about chemistry. Remember, it’s a parody, not an instructional video. It would have been better to post the safety violations here and leave the video. We’d have education and entertainment.

6. Jyllian Kemsley
    May 25 - 10:11 pm

@qvxb: You make a good point about the education bit. At the same time, C&EN has to draw the line somewhere, and I think what does it for me in this case is the two people wearing shorts. Just as we wouldn’t consider putting an image in the magazine showing someone wearing shorts in a lab (never mind sitting on a lab bench wearing shorts), I don’t think we should show it on the blog, either. Entertainment doesn’t trump basic safety rules.

7. mdust
    Jul 08 - 9:13 pm

I was actually one of the people who was in this video. It was a 10th grade chemistry extra credit video. While I understand and respect everyone’s opinions, I find it pretty funny that it’s even an issue. This was made 100% for entertainment and it was never meant to be anything else. If it were made to be instructional it obviously would have been set up much different and focused more on safety measures. So I’m just asking you all to have a sense of humor- it’s just chemistry and it’s supposed to be enjoyable too.

8. Rachel Pepling
    Jul 09 - 3:19 pm

@mdust: I hear you. I do. You’re absolutely right–chemistry is supposed to be enjoyable. As qvxb said, it is good to see you guys so enthusiastic about chemistry and working hard to make an entertaining video. I think everyone appreciates that this was for entertainment and not instruction. But just because this was for entertainment doesn’t mean safety rules should be relaxed.

I’m curious, though. Was your teacher involved with the filming? What was his or her reaction to both the video and our decision to not include it here?

9. mdust
    Jul 12 - 4:41 pm

Our teacher was somewhat involved with the filming. He helped us set up some of the labs shown and was there while we filmed since it was in his classroom. He liked the video a lot probably because many students don’t bother putting in extra effort. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t even know it was ever featured on here. Me and my friend just found it the other day when we were looking at where it was embedded from youtube. Actually the only reason we ever put it on youtube was to make it easier to show our class…haha we never expected it to even get many views