1. Rachel Pepling
    Jun 17 - 8:58 am

Congratulations, Glen! I’ve no doubt you’ll live up to your promise.

2. Curious Wavefunction
    Jun 17 - 9:02 am

Congratulations and good luck! You are absolutely right that networking is crucial. It’s also about being able to find the right fit. I just got an industrial job last month and there was no networking involved. I applied online and within 10 days I had an offer. Why? Only because the requirements for the job were an almost perfect fit to my background.

3. Jyllian Kemsley

Congrats, Glen!

7. G0OS3
    Jun 18 - 9:06 am

Congrats, Glen!

8. Linda Wang
    Jun 20 - 4:02 pm

Glen, that is fantastic, well-deserved. Networking is a great way to stay connected, but it’s also important to continue to stay active to keep your skills sharp, whether it’s blogging, doing some consulting, or volunteering ion your community. For more on this topic, see http://pubs.acs.org/isubscribe/journals/cen/89/i16/html/8916employment.html

9. David Kroll
    Jun 20 - 9:09 pm

Glen, this is absolutely fantastic news! Congratulations!

But, yes, I certainly know a bit of what you mean by survivor guilt. I recall feeling this at the other end of my career when I luckily got a tenure-track faculty position while several friends who had done longer postdocs had not. I attribute a lot of that “luck” with networking and keeping my options as open as possible.

I pledge to not take this lightly in any way. Since chemistry positions are so scarce, I feel duty-bound to do my absolute best, do good science, keep learning, and enjoy every minute of it.

You’re a good man. I’m sure you will. And I hope you keep writing about it.

10. Glen Ernst
    Jun 28 - 8:25 am

Thanks, everyone, for all the kind words and support!