1. See Arr Oh
    Aug 01 - 2:21 pm

I approve of this effort.

I wonder if having one-on-one discussions “on the floor” at major conferences, working the crowd as it were, would play well in this format. I know if C&EN wanted to speak to me on camera at NOS, I’d gladly speak up!

2. Carmen Drahl
    Aug 01 - 2:38 pm

A talking dog would be cover story material, that’s for sure. Thanks for the feedback!

3. Chemjobber
    Aug 01 - 3:54 pm

Nice effort! I agree with SAO that on-camera reactions to talks, with the right questions would be a great real-time way to get people talking/responding.

4. See Arr Oh
    Aug 01 - 4:30 pm

I envision a setup not unlike the interviews immediately following the State of the Union address:

“So, what did YOU think of Prof. Negishi’s talk?”
    “Well, it was great, I love what he’s doing with those organozincs.”

“Who do you like for next season?”
    “You know, that Craig Hawker really knows his stuff…let’s get him on stage”

5. Carmen Drahl
    Aug 01 - 6:08 pm

I love the idea. Although, SAO, I’m going to argue that in my experience, you are more outgoing than a lot of the chemists I encounter. Whenever I’m at an ACS meeting talk, I try to get on-the-ground reactions to it for news story quotes in print, and people are shy about THAT. So you can imagine what would happen if I tried to stick a camera in someone’s face. BUT- that doesn’t mean I won’t try. Stay tuned… I think you’ll find some interesting experiments coming down the pike.

6. Bob Buntrock
    Aug 07 - 1:07 pm

I agree with the idea of more interviews in the future. Even though I’m a Myers-Briggs introvert, I’d be amenable to a “live” interview especially if I knew the interviewer. However, my meeting attendance has drastically decreased and any input I’d give would be as an attendee rather than a presenter and researcher. That also means that I’m eager to get input like your article and interviews in abstentia.

7. […] videos that Carmen and Lauren have produced. Definitely check out their discussion about the history of the National Organic Symposium, if you haven’t […]